Friday, 20 November 2009

Link to a blog review of Beethoven 4

This was a Beethoven-flavoured concert, with 2 major Beethoven pieces and a piece by Brett Dean who was inspired by Beethoven's Heiligenstadt Testament. Read more.

1 comment:

Jim Gall said...

I have never been and I am still not a big Beethoven fan. I am however a subscriber to ACO and attend in Adelaide. My wife and I have also booked 2010's subscription as ACO is magnificent. As always, although I found the Beethoven concert uninteresting from a musician's view point, ACO played very very well. I must however make a very dramatic comment about Brett Deans composition which I found appalling. I accept that one has to be prepared to open one's mind to contemporary works, however enough is enough. I did not speak to anyone who enjoyed that work and ACO needs to look seriously at what contemporary works they include as really they are only in the interest of a small minority of patrons which is what ACO exists on. ACO concerts are for the general public NOT for students, minority contemporary composers, etc. To be honest contemporary/atonal composition has been around for 50 years and other than a few major composers, this music type is still not popular. Anyway as an ACO subscriber I found the Brett Deans composition an insult to my intelligence and not a work that should be played again especially by ACO. Sorry guys you got this one VERY wrong for me.