Brett Dean, Artistic Director of the Australian National Academy of Music discusses the Government's decision to withdraw funding from our only full-time, dedicated institution for the training of Australia's elite musicians:
http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/newsradio/audio/20081024-music.mp3
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I personally think this was the right decision. I'd be sorry to see the Academy go, and perhaps they can find some private funding.
Nevertheless, I've blogged about a range of reasons why ANAM doesn't quite hit the spot for me (an ANAM alumni from years back).
It is with shock and dismay that I hear of the federal Government’s plans to scrap ANAM funding from 2009.
A conservative estimate is that each gold medal at the Olympics over the past 20 years has cost the taxpayer around $40 million. But it costs only around $2.6 million to fund the ANAM for one year.
This is cultural vandalism by the federal Government, whose pre-election mantra was an education revolution.
Post a Comment